“Vaping is not safe” says Wesley Chapel area teen that almost died last week

“You don’t feel it. I had no idea I was 12 hours shy from dying,” said Grace Tyrrell. “It’s not worth it”

Last week a local area teen (18) named Grace Tyrrell nearly died from a vaping related illness. The diagnosis is vape induced pneumonia. The CDC says more than 2,700 similar cases have been reported nationwide and 60 people have died and more reports are coming in each week.

“The x-rays revealed pneumonia in both lungs. They did a CAT scan they said it’s one of the worst set of lungs they’ve seen and she’s 18,” said Grace’s mother, Deirdre Wulff in an interview. “Literally you’re killing yourself slowly,” Tyrrell said. “I wish people would take it more seriously because I didn’t and literally almost lost my life.”


According to the CDC website: CDC, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), state and local health departments, and other clinical and public health partners are investigating a national outbreak of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury.

What CDC Recommends

  1. Vaping is not safe, and is not a safe alternative to smoking.

  2. CDC and FDA recommend that people not use THC-containing e-cigarette, or vaping, products, particularly from informal sources like friends, family, or in-person or online dealers, gas stations, or vape stores.

  3. Vitamin E acetate should not be added to any e-cigarette, or vaping, products. Additionally, people should not add any other substances not intended by the manufacturer to products, including products purchased through retail establishments.